Umm, after watching a TED speech, about how to become a better conversationalist?. I think, I should write some points.
The title is How to talk and how to listen.
This suggestions is not recommended.
Look the person in the eye,think of interesting topics to discuss in advance; Look, nod and smile to show that you're paying attention; Repeat back what you just heard or summarize it; Forget all of that, it is crap. etc.
The speaker thinks There is no reason to learn how to show you're paying attention, if you're in fact paying attention. You just choose one of them and master it.
- Don't multitask.
- be present, be in that moment.
- don't be half in it and half out of it.
- Don't pontificate.
- Use open-ended questions.
- Go with the flow.
- If you don't know, say that you don't know.
- Don't equate your experience with theirs.
- All experiences are individual. And, more importantly, it is not about you.
- Try not to repeat yourself.
- Stay out of the weeds.
- Frankly, people don't care the details.
- Most of us don't listen with the intent to understand. We listen with the intend to reply.
- Be frief.
Here is the Hyperlink